We have collected information and web links related to the area and combined them here with photos we took and video clips from the show in what we hope will be a helpful guide as you plan your trip. Feel free to select only one or two activities per day according to your family’s interests. For assistance or for more information, call the Manistique Tourism Council - (800) 342-4282 Have fun!
Sheila Aldrich - Manistique City Manager
Dennis Jankowski - Manistique Tourist Council President
Paul Olsen - Pioneer Tribune of Manistique
Dan LaFoille - Schoolcraft County Commissioner
Jan Jeffcott - Maistique City Council
Manistique Tourism Council and all of its members
Seul Choix Point Lighthouse (pronounced SIS-SHWA) in nearby Gulliver, Michigan was built to light the way for the increasing number of vessels carrying the iron ore that was being shipped out of Escanaba, MI. Seul Choix Point Lighthouse is now a community park for everyone to enjoy. Built in 1895 this light, whose name is French for "only choice", was once the center of a thriving fishing community in the only harbor of refuge along this stretch of Lake Michigan. Today, the lighthouse complex is the only thing that remains active.
The refuge Headquarters and Visitor Center are located on Highway M-77 approximately 3 miles north of Germfask, Michigan and 15 miles northwest of Curtis, Michigan. It is one of the best wildlife excursions you can make, it is managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Link for more information.
The Colwell Lake Recreation Area is located in Schoolcraft County, Michigan, approximately 25 miles northwest of Manistique. Colwell lake is 145 acres with an excellent swimming beach and boat access. Camping, fishing,
picnicking and hiking are other popular recreation
activities at Colwell Lake. The Colwell Lake Trail begins at the boat launch parking lot. This natural surface, nature trail is 1.6 miles long and crosses through a variety of northern hardwood stands and wetlands. The trail has several areas where stairs or plank boardwalks are traversed.
Pine Marten run is a 26 mile system of hiking and horseback riding trails located in the Ironjaw Semiprivate Area. Parking areas are available at each trailhead. And Adirondack shelters, with fire rings, have been constructed at Rim Lake, Rumble Lake and along the Indian River. Water and toilet facilities are available at the C.R. 440 trailhead, while the others only have toilet facilities.
A hiking trail that passes through maple, yellow birch, and mixed conifer habitat takes hikers over boardwalks and through wet areas, leading to an elevated observation platform that provides a feeling of remoteness with outstanding opportunities for viewing wildlife.
During his lifetime, Baraga founded many missions in northern Michigan. The original Indian Lake mission, the third of Baraga's faith, was built in anticipation of his first visit to the area in May of 1832. The chapel, built by local Chippewas, used traditional Indian construction methods and materials such as logs and bark.
» Bishop Baraga Shrine [Manistique Tourism Council]
Indian Lake State Park
Indian lake State Park is located on Indian Lake, the fourth largest inland lake in the Upper Peninsula with an area of 8,400 acres. It is 6 miles long and 3 miles wide. The lake was once called M'O'Nistique Lake. According to surveyor records dated 1850, Native Americans lived in log cabins near the outlet of the Lake.
Kitch-iti-kipi (The Big Spring) at Palms Book State Park
Palms Book is a rewarding side trip for the vacationer touring the Upper Peninsula, for here can be seen one of Michigan's alluring natural attractions -- Kitch-iti-kipi, The Big Spring. Two hundred feet across, the 40-foot deep Kitch-iti-kipi is Michigan's largest freshwater spring. Over 10,000 gallons a minute gush from fissures in the underlying limestone. The flow continues throughout the year at a constant 45 degree Fahrenheit. By means of a self-operated observation raft, visitors are guided to vantage points overlooking fascinating underwater features and fantasies. Ancient tree trunks, lime-encrusted branches and fat trout appear suspended in nothingness as they slip through crystal waters far below. Clouds of sand kept in constant motion by gushing waters create ever-changing shapes and forms, a challenge to the imagination of young and old alike.
Fayette was once one of the Upper Peninsula's most productive iron-smelting operations. Located on the Garden Peninsula at Snail Shell Harbor. When the charcoal iron market began to decline, the Jackson Iron Company closed its Fayette smelting operation in 1891. It is now a completly restored village including 22 historic buildings, museum exhibits and the visitor center, which can be toured May through October. The historic site is located in Fayette State Park.
During the late 19th and early 20th centuries Thompson bustled with the activities of seven lumber companies. The town was the last port of call for the "Christmas Tree Ship," Rouse Simmons, which sank in 1912 after departing for Chicago loaded with evergreens.
The Thompson Fish Hatchery is located about eight miles west of Manistique on County Road 149. It is one of six hatcheries operated by the Fisheries Division of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and is open for tours. Most of the hatchery's annual production is cold water species such as brook trout, splake, brown trout, rainbow trout and chinook salmon most of which is planted in Upper Peninsula waters.
» Thompson State Fish Hatchery [Michigan DNR]
Manistique East Breakwater Light & Manistique Boardwalk
The Manistique Breakwater lighthouse is located in the harbor of Manistique, Michigan. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Boardwalk runs down the Lake Michigan shore in the town of Manistique. Go for an early morning walk or take an afternoon and picnic in the park. You can view the Manistique Lighthouse or ships passing by. It is a wonderfull way to spend a day.
Manistique Water Tower, Schoolcraft County Museum & Siphon Bridge
Schoolcraft County Historical Park, Museum, and 200' tall brick Water Tower was built in 1921-22. Located on M-94 (River Street) at the Siphon Bridge in Manistique. The Water Tower is on the National and State Registrar of Historic Sites. Museum is open during the summer months. The renovated building provides space for arts related public events and public rest room facilities while preserving one of Manistique's unique and historic buildings. This eight-span girder bridge is 296 feet long overall and is an unusual design in that the bridge is an integral part of a concrete raceway flume. Since the water level in the flume is actually above the level of the roadway, the bridge acts as a siphon, thus its nickname, Siphon Bridge.
The 40-acre park which surrounds Manistique's quarry pond, has areas set up for a variety of summer and winter activities including a hill for sledding, an archery range, a walking and nature trail, a baseball field, basketball and tennis courts, picnic areas, swimming beach and fishing piers, with fish-stocked waters.
»located next to Little Bear West Arena, 180 N. Maple St., Manistique
Learn more about the creation, evolution and future of Manistique's Central Park in this un-aired interview with Recreation Board Chairman Michael Powers
The Environmental Lab's purpose is for the environmental education of youths. The property is located within three miles of most of the county's schools and contains a wide variety of flora, fauna, topography, soils and stages of succession. Three state and federal grants, supported with local donations to match have allowed the project to develop and be successful.